It seems that Zoom interviews are the new way of recruiting and with that comes the challenge of putting yourself over well on camera. Here are my top tips on looking your interview ready best.
- Get the lighting right. Try to use as much natural light as possible. If it is a very dull day or your interview is taking place in the evening, make sure you are lit from the front rather than overhead, which can cause shadows under your eyes making you look tired.
- Get your base right. Super glowy looks don’t translate too well on camera and can be distracting so make sure you use either a matte foundation or powder to eliminate shine on your T-zone.
- Keep eyes neutral. A neutral eye, with a bit of socket shading to define makes you look polished and professional. Unless you are going for a position in a very creative company, in which case crack out the colours!
- Keep contouring to a minimum. By all means subtly shape your face but an interview is not the time for precision cut cheekbones and highlighter you can see from space.
- Do add a bright lipstick. This draws attention to your mouth and what is coming out of it. It is also a memory jogger – “The candidate with the bright pink lipstick”. If a bright lip colour isn’t for you, pop on a top/scarf/earrings in a bold colour instead.
- Lastly, wear a makeup look that gives you confidence as it will positively enhance your interview technique. And if you’re not sure you have got it quite right, video call a friend beforehand to double check your look.