I’m getting a lot of questions about LVL treatments recently so I thought it might be helpful to put together a blog post, explaining exactly what LVL is, how it is achieved and the results you should expect. LVL is my absolute favourite lash treatment as it gives such amazing results and requires very little aftercare and no maintenance until your next treatment is due.
What is LVL?
LVL is a 1 hour – 1 hour 15 mins treatment which lifts the lashes from the root and incorporates a top and bottom lash tint to give the appearance of thicker, longer lashes. It lasts 6-8 weeks with the correct aftercare. LVL is a cruelty free, but not a vegan, treatment.
What is the difference between LVL and a lash perm?
Whereas a lash perm curls the entire lash, creating a soft curl across the whole length of the eye lashes, LVL lifts the lashes directly from the root. This results in a more upright curl and thus a more dramatic effect. Different levels of curl are available depending on the look you are seeking to create as well as the natural length and thickness of your lashes, and I am happy to recommend what is best suited to you.
Do I need to do anything before my treatment?
Before you undertake an LVL treatment you will be asked to complete a patch test 48 hours before your appointment. This is very important as we need to know if your skin is reactive to any of the products that will be used during your treatment. We can send a patch test in the post to be completed at home so there is no need to visit my studio prior to your appointment.
What happens during the treatment?
At your appointment, your lashes will be cleansed and undereye patches will be applied to keep the bottom lashes away from the lifting solution. A shield will be applied to your upper lid, (the size will be chosen according to your lash length, thickness and the level of lift you would like to achieve) and your lashes will be bonded to the shield. Firstly the lifting cream will be applied and left for between 10 and 14 minutes – during this time I will give you a relaxing hand and arm massage; then a volumizing fix will be applied and left for 7 minutes and finally the tint colour of your choice will be left on both top and bottom lashes for 3-5 minutes. The treatment can be undertaken without the tint if you wish or if you have had a reaction to the tint solution during your patch test. The shields will then be removed and you will be left with luscious, lifted lashes!
What about pre-treatment and after-care?
Pre-treatment care and aftercare is very important with lash treatments and I will always give written guidance on this. For reference though, please see below.
24 hours prior to treatment
· Do not wear water-proof mascara (and preferably no mascara at all)
· Do not use oil based eye makeup remover
· If you have had a spray tan, ensure the guide colour is washed off
On the day of treatment
· Do not wear mascara (eye makeup removal will incur an additional charge)
· Do not have a spray tan
· Avoid applying oily products on your lashes or around your eyes
· Contact lenses must be removed prior to the treatment – for this reason I recommend glasses are worn
· For the first 24 hours after your treatment it’s important not to allow water to come in to contact with your lashes
· For 48 hours do not steam your face, use a steam bath, swim or wash your face with hot water. Be careful when opening the oven/dishwasher too!
· Do not use waterproof mascara
· Use oil free makeup remover if mascara is worn
· Only use a water-based mascara (this can be purchased from the studio)
· Don’t rub your eyes when washing your face and always pat the lashes dry gently after cleansing
· Ensure lashes are not manipulated into different positions (e.g. when sleeping, cleansing the face, applying moisturiser or cosmetics)
· Use a lash conditioning serum to keep lashes in the best possible condition (this can be purchased from the studio)
If you would like to book in for your LVL treatment please visit the Contact Me page or give me a call on 07801849668. I look forward to seeing you at the studio soon!